You may have heard terms such as king box spring or queen box spring and wondered what they are all about.
In simple terms, a box spring, or foundation as it is sometimes called, is a wooden box that is used to support a mattress. The terms “king” or “queen” simply refer to the size of the box spring and hence the size of the mattress they are going to support. Each queen box spring is the same size as the mattress it is designed to support. You can also use a box spring to add a bit of height to a mattress in order to make it easier to climb into or out of the bed. They can even function as a complete bed if you perch them on casters if for some reason you can’t have a bed in your room.
There are many reasons why you should invest in a box spring, either a king box spring or a queen box spring, depending on the size of your mattress:
- It prevents the premature sagging in a mattress caused by placing a mattress on an uneven surface.
- It helps to extend the life of your mattress.
- You may be required to invest in a box spring in order to claim your warranty.
If you have a mattress that you can use on an adjustable base, your mattress manufacturer may require you to use a box spring to support your mattress in order to prove that it was used on a hard and flat surface. If on the other hand you are not concerned about the warranty, you may dispense with the box spring.
In this day and age, it may be difficult for you to find the two-sided mattress design, even though it is not impossible to do so. However you should remember that even though the two-sided mattresses may be used without a box spring, it is not recommended that you do so.
Here’s a list of things you need to remember when you invest in a box spring:
- If you have a one-sided mattress, you typically would not need a box spring. You can just use any hard or flat surface. If the mattress is under warranty though it is possible that you may be required to use a box spring in order to prove that you were supporting the mattress properly.
- If you have a two-sided mattress, you are highly recommended to use a box spring, as otherwise the mattress’s performance will be adversely affected.
- You can use a platform bed to serve the same function as a box spring.
- Another alternative to the box spring is an adjustable base.
If your mattress comes with a warranty, you need to remember the following in order to be able to claim your warranty:
- Your manufacturer may require you to use a box spring with your mattress.
- An adjustable base or platform bed may be used instead of a box spring.
It generally doesn’t matter how old your box spring it is, as long as it is free of major defects and is sound structurally.